Monday, December 13, 2010

Won't Back Down

Shorter blog this time - by popular request. Actually I don't think Dusty's that popular. Still, a shorter blog:


On Sportsnet they're running Oilers commercials. Pretty simple idea: Taylor Hall staring defiantly at the camera while Johnny Cash sings "Won't back down..." I like it. Very dramatic. I like the Oil, I like Taylor Hall, I like Johnny Cash, and I like the simplicity of it. It works for me on a lizard-brain level and makes me like the new attitude of the Oilers and all the excitement they're bringing this year. I'm all ready to go to war with the boys.






So what commercial does Sportsnet run the other day? Some Calgary Flames clown staring defiantly at the camera while Johnny Cash sings "Won't back down..." Gee, thanks Sportsnet. Yeah, we're all the same fans here - as long as it's Alberta. Possibly even Vancouver or the northern States. And of course we always want to see the Leafs at every possibility - they're Canada's team after all.

Being a sports fan is silly and largely irrelevant - but we like it. We like being mad and irrational - it's fun. We love laughing at the fans of the opposing teams and how silly they look in their outfits while they're cheering on a bunch of players who obviously don't want to play for that city. But hey Sportsnet - remember that that's how your broadcasting bread is buttered.

For fudge sake, how hard would it have been to make two different types of commercial? What are they...15 seconds? Thanks Toronto, for once again lumping everything west of Hamilton into one group. I guess we are one group though - both of our Alberta teams have won the Stanley Cup in the last 40 years and made the seventh game of the final round of the playoffs in the last 7 years. And Calgary and Edmonton both hate you just a little bit more now.

And while I'm at it - I grow more pissed that the National Energy Policy existed or was even suggested. I blame Toronto, the Maple Leafs, the Blue Jays, the Argos and the Raptors for this...and now Sportsnet too. I think Trudeau was innocent.

Link to The Toronto Song

2 comments:

  1. You would think they could have used "Ring of Fire" for the Flames.

    Or maybe avoided Cash altogether and gone with "Crazy Train", since at least one Sutter has lost his marbles.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Ring of Fire" - nice. "I went down, down, down and the flames went higher..." That'd be the high road though. I was leaning more toward:

    http://www.last.fm/music/Lotus+Lame+and+the+Lame+Flames

    Tomato, tomahto.

    ReplyDelete